Wednesday, April 11, 2018

What Others Really Think About You...

Now that I have a few minutes of
downtime.... I want to share a quick story....
I had a Very interesting convo while in Albuquerque, NM a few weekends ago sitting at a bar in my hotel.. eating... Ended up chatting a man of Hispanic decent (his ethnicity important)... He asked what brought me to NM so I mentioned my new MYBS venture to do a 5k in a new city. So we started talking about traveling.. Traveling ABroad specifically.. I mentioned a few places I have been and He asked about my experiences in Cuba, Bali, Milan, China, Belize which I gladly shared... And he said something so interesting to me... He said .... He could never travel like that. I thought he meant it was hard to get a passport. So I asked him, why he said that.... He said... He would not be accepted anywhere because everyone hates Mexicans... He said, it is much easier for me to travel wherever I want to go..... I was so shocked.. I was like... but you do know I am Black, right? He said yes, but no one like Mexicans... I was sooooo floored.... and saddened..

If he only knew my fears of running
into the wrong group or having a horrible experience.... BUT I have not.. I hope kindness and positive energy fight the evil before it forms :)..

WE talked more and I shared my
thoughts on how much we are really accepted, how much what we see on tv is NOT real and he would be accepted as well. and he said he would like for his kids to travel, but KNew they never would. I encouraged him to not say the later to them... but to encourage them.. Not to stifle a dream they have yet to develop...based on his own fears. He said true... and wished me luck on my race and hike to Kasha Katuwe.... He ended by saying I will read your blog and visit through your eyes.... I suggested he try a cruise first. Very easy, no passports needed and you can venture off the boat at no cost and explore at port side if he wanted... but still see the world in a bit of a controlled environment.

So often we think our situation is dismal or the worst, but we never really know what others may feel about themselves or others. How they feel they are being treated and why... Just when I thought Being a black female was still societies lowest spot on the totem pole....
This outgoing Man with a beautiful wife and kids shared his fears and mental bondage. Where did it come from? Will he have the strength to take the words we shared and begin to break the cycle?

I do not know.. I do not know..... I
do hope my words, my experiences of how welcoming THE WORLD is... prevail. I hope I encouraged him. I hope I gave him hope that all things are NOT always as they may seem....

We can not live through others eyes
or we will miss every gift awaiting us...
Let's encourage others to embrace our differences... We are truly beautiful people... Remember... WE all Bleed, Eat, Dream and LOVE...

Live... Explore... Decide for YOU...What is...
#throughmyeyes #adventureswithali









No comments:

Post a Comment

Jamaican spicy cabbage

Ever crave good cabbage??  OMG!!! This recipe is the bomb 1/2 Cabbage 5-6 mini sweet peppers 1 cup Carrots julienned 1 tbsp Thyme 3 chopped ...